(I put this article on the website for your entertainment and enlightenment. This is not a real suggestion.)
Sometimes topical or fashionable words block real communication.
Do you keep falling asleep in staff meetings? What about those long and boring conference calls?
Here’s a way to change all of that:
1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare your “Bullshit Bingo” card by drawing a square — I find that 5″ x 5″ is a good size — and dividing it into columns — five across and five down. That will give you 25 1-inch blocks.
2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block (or include other fashionable but fuzzy words used in your company):
- Game changer
- Disruptive technology
- Strategic fit
- Core competencies
- Out of the box
- Bottom line
- Take that off-line
- Out of the loop
- Thought leader
- Fast track
- Empower (or empowerment)
- Knowledge base
- At the end of the day
- Touch base
- Client focus(ed)
- Game plan
- Sequential or sequentially
- Multiple times
3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.
4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, stand up and shout “BULLSHIT!”
Testimonials from satisfied “Bullshit Bingo” players:
“I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won.”
— Jack W., Boston
“My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically.”
— David D., Florida
“What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win.”
— Bill R., New York City
“The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box.”
— Ben G., Denver
“The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed “BULLSHIT!” for the third time in two hours.”
— Harry A, Chantilly
“Thanks Bingo creator for thinking outside the box and proactively creating this value-added knowledge base that is a strategic fit with my core competencies and current client focused mindset. I can leverage our existing process and exploit the inherent synergies to expand the knowledge base to cater to our result driven team members who will work 24/7 to put it on a fast-track. This cascading game-plan is what I call a truly win-win situation, a disruptive game changer.”
— Swami S, Sunnyvale, CA
cc 502 – © Barry Phegan, Ph.D.